I did do a little something besides reflecting in January.....
It had been well used and abused. The previous owner really didn't like somebody named Sasha and used a marker to declare that all over the cork board.
Then two coats of paint that were meant to be a soft gray. The problem was it ended up being the same blue color of the primer! I went round & round with the paint. Adding black to make it more gray, paint a drawer, add more black, paint another drawer. The desk and I played this game together for multiple coats of paint until I finally made a compromise. Not as gray as I intended but no longer more blue than gray. Lastly, two coats of poly because I really intend for my kids to use this for homework and play. I also reused the hardware just spray painted them with a hammered nickel I had on hand. Really updated their look.
I added some material to the back of the bookcase and a cut out above the hutch for character.