Thursday, September 22, 2011

Adventures in Garage Sales

I had big plans this afternoon to spend a little more time than usual putting together a blog post with great content, good photos and maybe even a little how-to THEN plans changed.  First things first…it’s BEAUTIFUL outside!  Secondly Aidan (AKA Homebody Extraordinaire) asked me if we could go to some garage sales!!  I usually have to drag him out of his jammies and into the van to go anywhere after school.  Today it was his idea so I hopped on board and off we went.  We actually didn’t find a whole lot other than a bug catcher that will make him the hit of the neighborhood this afternoon when the “big” kids get home from school but we had fun.  Actually, we had a lot of fun as he declared each sale a good one (lots of visible toys) or an old person sale (the ones that make my eyes bug out at all the good junk) 

So inspired by our adventure I switched blogging plans and am going to share some of my more fun garage/estate sale find the past couple of weeks.

Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to what I like and buy   This purchase is one of those.  I walked into an estate sale spotted what I thought were bowling pins on a table but at closer look discovered they are Jim Beam bottles.  Too fun to pass up at $3.00 for both of them.  Also found out you can get a little bit for them on Ebay, about $35.00, but think they will stay on our bar for awhile.  


Same sale I picked up this vintage dictionary for $1.00.  The silver and red stripes were calling my name….can’t you see it on a shelf with several other dictionaries and Scrabble letters in a tray spelling out something fun?


A fun trip to Hayesville city-wide sales with a friend and our kids lead me to this Pepsi crate.  Can’t really see the metal edges but the wood, metal, rust and red lettering had me at hello.  It was $7.50 but is already being used in the entry so pretty good buy.


Glass Ball canning jars are a weakness.  Today’s big purchase were three of these over sized beauties for $.25 each…. yes that’s $.75 total.  The blue jar I bought at Joanie’s a while back but threw it in there to show you how big these really are!  Think they will be beautiful this spring on the back deck as vases or candle holders.

Finally one of the weirdest but most fun things I bought this fall.  A whole set of vintage pool balls for $8.00.  They wanted $10, I would have paid $10 but they took my offer of $8 so even better J  I plan to put them in a container, set them on a coffee table and just admire their colors and uniqueness.


So after an unexpected afternoon with Aidan “shopping” we are home and Homebody Extraordinaire has returned to his recliner for some down time.  However in about an hour he’ll be chasing bugs with his new bug catcher on this beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment