Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Easy Peasey Pillows

Occasionally, almost daily, I come across a project on a blog that I really want to try out in our home.  My procedure is to save a picture of it then return to the picture obsessively until I decide to take it on or forget why I liked it so much.  Today’s project was one of those I couldn’t get out of my head.  I came across it on a bowl full of lemons several months ago.  She was inspired by some Pottery Barn Pillows and nearly replicated them. The blogger of that site has a lot of great ideas and posts detailed tutorials on quite a few projects.  So if you want a step by step with nearly professionally photos check out her amazing site here:


Here is her final project….love the pillows!


Now on to how I did it which was from a few 7th grade home economics classes on sewing and 4-H projects back in the 80’s.  I don’t even own a sewing machine but my neighbor Patty does.  Problem was she had never used it but what better way to “inspire” someone to learn how to use something than a neighbor bugging them about it.  The first week the kids were in school I text her and asked her when we could break it out.  She was here with it the next day.  The amazing part is that why I ran to Michael’s to buy thread she was able to read the instructions (the machine had never been out of the box) set it up and basically had it ready to go…she’s amazing! 

I really wish I had thought to take some photos because we broke every sewing rule and never once measured.  We simply laid the pillow forms on some linen I bought last year for a Christmas project.  Folded the material over the pillow and cut it to fit.  I pinned the sides we needed to sew together (and also to the floor where I was working) then off we went sewing.  I think we both had flashbacks to our moms yelling at us to slow down on the machine but that only caused more laughter.  We zipped up the three sides that needed sewing but left room to stuff the pillow in.  Miraculously the pillow fit, first try, no measuring and very little sewing!!  We’ve decided we are naturally talented seamstresses but we’ll test that theory out on the next project.

Here’s where I started taking a few photos to share.  I made a template by printing the numbers 1 and 2 on typing paper and cutting out with an exacto knife.  I used Bondi font at 1000% as recommended in the actual tutorial. 

Next I pinned the template on and used fabric paint to put the numbers on the pillows.  I should also mention I put some cardboard in the pillowcase to keep the paint from running through to the back.  I didn’t care that the paint was a little thin in a couple of spots or slightly out of the lines because that added to it’s imperfect perfection. 

My first attempt at the fabric paint was with paint marker below because I thought it would be less messy but it didn't work at all.  The paint didn't cover well and the tip got tore up by the texture in the material.

I removed the template immediately and let dry overnight.  Last step was to insert the pillow forms and hand stitch up the area I left open to put the pillow in.  So simple but add so much to the chairs that flank our fireplace. 





Plus they feel kind of Fallish and I’m all about that right now…pretty sure the Fall décor is getting drug out of the storage room tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment